Ham Croquettes (Croquetas De Papas Y Jamon)
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced fine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk, at room temperature (more or less)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cups smoked ham, ground
- 2 cups potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs (more or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2 eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs (mixed with 1/4 cup flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- Melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan; add the onions and sauté on medium-low heat until translucent. Whisk in sherry and chives. Add ground ham. Let simmer for 5 minutes on low heat. Remove from heat, add mashed potatoes and blend completely. Taste and season with pepper and a little salt if necessary. The ham probably has enough salt already. Spoon the mixture into a baking dish and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour.
- TIP: The mixture needs to be firm enough to form into rolls. If the mixture is too soft or sticky, mix in some bread crumbs.
- Beat the eggs with water in a mixing bowl until frothy. Combine the bread crumbs and flour in a second bowl with salt and pepper. Shape the ham/potato mixture into logs about 3/4 inch thick and 3 inches long. Dip the logs in the egg wash and roll them in the seasoned bread crumbs. Dip a second time and roll again in bread crumbs until they are completely covered.
- IMPORTANT: Place the logs in a lightly greased baking dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. (You may also freeze for later use, or use the freezer to quickly chill them.).
- In a large frying pan, add enough vegetable oil to cover half the croqueta at a time. Heat the oil to the frying stage -- about 360 to 375 degrees F. Sauté a few croquetas at a time in the hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!