Grilled Salmon With Basil Aioli
DH and I enjoyed this easy to prepare salmon dish from July 2008 Bon Appetit. We cheated and used anchovy paste instead of opening up a new tin of anchovies. It worked fine. We served the fish with grilled summer squash and zucchini, which was very complimentary.
- Ready In:
- 2 large egg yolks (preferably organic)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced (1 1/3 tsp)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (generous)
- olive oil, for brushing
- 2 1⁄2 - 3 lbs skinless salmon fillet (about 1 inch thick)
- For the basil aioli: Whisk egg yolks, basil, garlic, anchovies, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce in medium bowl. Whisk in 2 Tb oil a few drops at a time, then gradually whisk in remaining oil in a thin stream. Whisk in 1 Tb warm water, lemon juice, and hot pepper sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled).
- For Salmon: Prepare a BBQ (high heat). Brush grill rack with oil. Brush salmon with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill salmon, uncovered, 5 minutes. Using 2 large spatulas, carefully turn fish over. Grill until fish just begins to flake in center, 4 to 5 minutes longer. Transfer salmon to platter. Serve with aioli.