Grilled Portabella Burger With Basil Mayonnaise
photo by AcadiaTwo
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 portabella mushroom caps (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 4 mixed-grain hamburger buns
- 4 pieces roasted red peppers, drained (jarred water-packed)
- 4 slices red onions
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- Heat grill or grill pan.
- In a small bowl, combine basil, vegan mayonnaise, and vinegar; set aside.
- Lightly coat both sides of mushroom caps with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Grill mushrooms over medium-high heat, until just soft to the touch, about 6 minutes per side.
- To serve, split buns and toast on grill.
- Spread a heaping teaspoon of the basil mixture on top and bottom halves of buns.
- Layer each bottom half with one lettuce leaf, red pepper,.
- mushroom, and onion slice; top with remaining half bun.
- and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These made really juicy burgers. I used vegenaise which gave the mayo a nice sweet taste. We also grilled up the onions and some tomatoes and added them to the sandwich. I wish I had a picture of my 5 year old who was wearing mushroom juice all over her face and hands. Will definitely make these again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
The Vegetarian Network of Austin (VNA) is a local, active group of vegetarians and vegans in Austin, Texas. We are open to anyone interested in a vegetarian lifestyle. Our organization meets regularly for food, fun, support and to exchange information and ideas. We host monthly vegan potlucks and patronize local vegetarian-friendly restaurants. We also meet for social gatherings and public outreach. We periodically advertise and promote special events such as the Lone Star Vegetarian Chili Cook-Off and sponsor special guest speakers. The 21st Annual Lone Star Vegetarian Chili Cook-Off is on Sunday November 15, 2009 from 11:30 am to 4:00 pm at the Travis County Farmers Market (formerly the Historic Austin Farmers Market), 6701 Burnet Road, in Austin, Texas. Chili Teams from all over Texas will delight you with an amazing array of delicious, healthy, meatless chilis as they compete for best chili and best booth! Door Prizes - Live Entertainment - Educational Booths and Exhibits $7 Adults (13 and up), $3 Children 6-12 years (5- are free!) (CASH ONLY AT THE GATE) Produced by the Lone Star Vegetarian Network: Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Fort Worth, El Paso ------------------------------------------------------- We're looking for chili teams, volunteers, door prizes, celebrity vegetarians and, of course, attendees! See www.veggiechilicookoff.com for more information. This cookbook is a place for us to keep our recipes printed in our bi-monthly newsletters, popular dishes from our monthly potluck dinners, and also recipes from Recipezaar chefs that our members recommend. To submit a recipe or a Recipezaar recommendation, e-mail it to our newsletter editor at firstname.lastname@example.org. <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> Pick A Chef is a chance to discover new chefs, recipes, and “get to know” other chefs on Zaar. Recipezaar chefs agree to make & review 3 of his/her picked chefs' recipes by the event deadline. They make the recipes & submit their reviews any time before the deadline. There are a few rules on how the selections work, but PAC is a very easy game to play. See the Recipezaar Community for more information. Acadia adopted us and made/reviewed: Asian Noodles and Broccoli Vegan Cornbread Grilled Portabella Burger With Basil Mayonnaise Thank you, Acadia!