Grilled Harissa Carrot Hummus
photo by Rick M.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb carrot, peeled, ends trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup harissa, divided, plus more
- 6 garlic cloves, finely grated, divided
- 2⁄3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, plus more
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and 2 tablespoons of liquid reserved
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- aleppo pepper (for serving)
- vegetable oil (for brushing)
- Prepare a grill for medium high heat; thoroughly clean grates and brush with oil. Toss carrots, 3 tablespoons harissa, half of the garlic, thyme, cumin and 1 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl. Lay out a 12" sheet of heavy duty foil and scrape carrot mixture into the center. Fold over the sides and form a tight seal. Grill foil pack, turning once, until carrots are tender and lightly charred, 30-45 minutes. Keep wrapped and let cool slightly.
- Puree chickpeas, reserved liquid and tahini in a food processor until smooth and thick. Add remaining 1 tablespoon harissa, remaining garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, cooled carrots and accumulated juices, lemon juice and 2 teaspoons salt and puree until smooth. With the motor running, drizzle in the remaining 2/3 cup oil and continue to process until creamy; adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, top with additional harissa, olive oil, thyme leaves and Aleppo pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Food editor, food stylist. I cook, I write and I eat. I have the best job ever. Surrounded by people who love food as much as i do, who are incredible cooks and teach me something every day. Not to mention the fact that I get to graze on amazing food and get paid for it, like that chocolate cherry shortcake I just ate for breakfast. Yeah, it doesn't suck.