Grilled Ham and Gruyere Sandwiches
photo by Sara 76
- Ready In:
- 8 slices white peasant bread or 8 slices whole wheat sourdough bread
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked ham (such as Black Forest)
- 2 -4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Spread one side of each bread slice with the butter.
- On a clean work surface, place 4 slices buttered-side down.
- Divide the cheese and ham among those 4 slices.
- Place the remaining 4 slices of bread on top, buttered-side up.
- Heat a grill pan or a 12-inch skillet with a lid over medium heat until warm. Place the sandwiches in the skillet (in batches if necessary) and cook, covered, 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until cheese melts and bread is golden brown.
- Cut each sandwich in half; slide in 1 or 2 tomato slices and serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!