Green Peppers and Peaches Salad
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 kg green peppers
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 kg large ripe peach (but not overripe)
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Wash, core and quarter the green peppers; spread the peppers out on a shallow roasting tray and sprinkle them with half the olive oil and the sugar. Season well and ensure that the pieces are well-coated.
- Roast in the oven for about 45-60 minutes.
- Halfway through the cooking time, you will notice that the edges of some of the peppers have turned brown and acquired a crunchy edge. Give them another good mix in, so that they do not burn and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the peppers from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Peel and pit the peaches with a sharp knife; slice them into chunky wedges; place them in a large salad bowl and mix them with the cooled green peppers.
- Toss the cumin seeds in a dry pan over a medium heat until they start popping. Do not let them turn brown as they will taste bitter.
- Crush the toasted cumin in a pestle, then mix it with the cayenne pepper and sprinkle the resulting coarse powder over the salad.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the lemon juice; stir all the ingredients well, check and - if necessary - adjust the seasoning, then serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
July 2008 update: VERY happy to be back on Zaar after about a two year absence due to having had no internet connection at home, and having been too unwell for a time so that getting re-connected wasn't even a priority! <br> <br>And really looking forward to getting back into the Zaar world and connecting again with the many wonderful people I knew before, and new people, of course!