Greek Butter Cookies
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease cookie sheets.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and egg until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Blend in the flour to form a dough. You may have to knead it by hand at the end.
- Take about a teaspoon of dough at a time and roll it into balls, logs or S shapes.
- Place cookies 1 to 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned and firm.
- Allow cookies to cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made for the ZWT-9 Greek "Parting Gifts" Challenge, these cookies were an easy-fix taste treat. However, the texture is what gets your immediate attention. They were soft, delicate & almost air-like, BUT yet sturdy enough to handle easily. I rolled mine into balls, but they flattened a bit to an almost dome-like shape. Perhaps my oven was cooking too hot ?? We loved them & Thx for sharing the recipe w/us. :)
These delicately-flavored little morsels were just the distraction the kiddos and I needed on this hot summer afternoon! We tried all of the shapes; I made the "S" cookies and they got a great kick out of rolling out "worms" LOL. I used white wheat flour and smart balance, and just to balance out the "healthy" we shook them in a bag of powdered sugar after they had cooled a bit ;). Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 9, for the Gourmet Goddesses.
see 10 more reviews