Grebbel (Fried Dough)
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter (no substitute)
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream (do not use fat free or low fat)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- canola oil or vegetable oil, for frying
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Combine butter, sour cream and eggs; blend together well. Add dry ingredients and mix together. (Makes a soft dough.)
- Let dough rest at room temperature for 1 hour - it will rise.
- Knead down and roll out on lightly floured board to about 1/8" thick.
- Cut into desired shape (3" X 5" strips) and cut center slits (2).
- Push dough through slits (this creates a twist) and drop into 350 degree hot oil.
- Watch closely and turn over and fry to lightly browned.
- Drain on paper towels, shake on powdered sugar and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!