Grandma's Special Brussels Sprouts (You Won't Say Eeeewww)
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- Clean and drain brussel sprouts.
- Put them in a large saucepan with water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and cook until tender but not falling apart.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp, remove from heat, cool and cut into bite-size pieces,
- Drain most of the bacon fat (reserve 1 T in skillet) return bacon to skillet.
- Mix sugar and flour in a small bowl; add to skillet. Heat should be on low.
- Add vinegar and water.
- Stir while cooking, until thickened.
- Drain brussel sprouts.
- Put in serving dish.
- Pour sauce over sprouts.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a great way of preparing Brussels sprouts. The bacon was a great addition to the sauce, but the vinegar was too overpowering. Next time, I'll definitely reduce that, or maybe even leave it out altogether because the vinegar didn't mesh well with the salty elements from the bacon. But otherwise, the sauce made the Brussels sprouts much more enjoyable. Made for Football Pool 2013.
Made for your Wk 10 *Football Pool* win, my bet is most who dislike brussels sprouts will enjoy these tasty sprouts. While I did not time myself, I am pretty sure the prep did not take me near 60 min. My only issue was w/the 3 oz serv size ~ not enough for us. I see the recipe serving 6 w/5 oz servings & it will still be low-fat + low cal. Thx for sharing this recipe from your Grandma w/us & Congrats on your FB pool win. :-)