Glazed Lemon Buttermilk Cake
photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon rind (about 2 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, combine rind and 3 tablespoons juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Coat a 10-inch Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, rind mixture, and extract, beating until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1 cup buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beating at low speed, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons juice, and 1 tablespoon buttermilk in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm cake. Garnish with grated lemon rind once glaze is set, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is delicious! I replaced the sugar with Splenda and used a heart smart margarine for the butter. Where I went "wrong" was that I decided to make mini Angel Food shaped cakes with the 1/2 recipe that I made. If I had used regular muffin tins it would have been perfect. As it turned out I didn't have enough batter to make good sized cakes and mine ended up looking like donuts, LOL. This in no way detracted from the cake being delectable (in fact, I think I now know how to make baked donuts!). I skipped the glaze only to save on sugar. I really can't over stress how very good the cake is and the texture is perfect. Made for Photo Tag
Delicious. I used splenda in the batter to keep the sugar low. Very lemony which I adore. Not so sure that i will be able to stop eating the whole thing lol. Next time, i won't use the glaze, just prick the cake all over and squeeze more fresh lemon juice on it. Personal taste, i don't need all the extra sugar
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Canadian girl that loves to cook for herself and for everyone around her!! I always enjoyed cooking but more so since I started taking better care of myself by eating healthier food (I am a Weight Watchers Lifetime member!). I still love my chocolate though! <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/samethingsticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/SoupsandsaladSTICKER.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/PastastickerJPEG.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/MuffinLovesticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/L%5B1%5D.F-stickJPEG.jpg"> <img src="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/marienixon_715/kittencaljpg.jpg"> <img src="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/484938/Spelling-Bee-stick2jpg.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/TasteofYellow.jpg"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/CLC1.gif"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Derfcookathon.jpg">