Gingerbread Apple Cobbler With Lemon Sauce
- Ready In:
- 4 medium apples, pared, cored & sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1. CAKE.
- 2. Combine apples, brown sugar, 1 cup water, lemon juice and cinnamon. Cover and cook til apples are tender.
- 3. Beat together the sugar, egg, buttermilk, mollasses and oil. Set aside.
- 4. In a big bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- 5. Add the egg mixture to the dry mix and beat til smooth.
- 6. Combine cornstarch and 1 T cold water. Stir into apple mixture.
- 7. Pour into a 1 1/2 qt casserole. Spoon gingerbread mix atop apples.
- 8. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 9. (Can cook apple mixture in MW. Cook on High for 10-12 minutes, stirring 3 times during cooking.).
- 10. While cake is cooking make the Lemon Sauce.
- 11. LEMON SAUCE Makes 1 cup.
- 12. In saucepan mix sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and dash salt. Gradually stir in 1 cup water.
- 13. Cook and stir over low heat until thickened. Stir half of the hot mixture into egg yolks; return to pan.
- 14. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; blend in the butter, lemon peel and lemon juice. (When grating lemon peel, make sure you don't include any of the bitter white part).
- 15. Spoon over hot gingerbread cobbler.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!