German Chocolate Upside Down Cake
photo by Sherrybeth
- Ready In:
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (18 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix (with pudding)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°F Grease and flour 13x9 inch pan. Sprinkle coconut and pecans evenly over the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cake mix, water, oil and eggs as directed on the box. Carefully pour batter over coconut and pecans in prepared pan.
- Mix melted margarine, cream cheese and powdered sugar in large bowl on low speed for 30 seconds, or until well mixed. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 30 seconds more, or until smooth.
- Spoon cream cheese over batter, leaving a 1 inch border of batter around the sides of the pan, and smooth with spatula.
- Bake for 43-48 minutes, or until the cream cheese mixture has turned golden brown and the cake springs back when touched lightly.
- Remove from oven and set cool for 20 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto serving platter. Let rest for 20 minutes more, then slice and serve.
OUTSTANDING....I won this cake at a local church on Saturday in a cakewalk. I asked the lady who made it about the recipe and she gave me a printout and it was from ZAAR and it was this recipe. HOW FUNNY IS THAT?!?! It is extremely moist and the cream cheese in the center adds a great flavor. It also travels well and has stayed very moist. Everyone who has had a piece has just raved about it. I WILL BE MAKING THIS ONE A LOT!!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Chandler, Arizona, which is near Phoenix. I have been a registered nurse for almost 25 years. Currently I am a clinical supervisor at a health care clinic. I love to cook rich foods with complex flavors, whether they be main dishes or desserts. I have also been eating low carb for about 5 years, so I am pretty good at modifying recipes to match my lifestyle.