German Chocolate Surprise Cake
photo by Random Rachel
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 ounces sweet baking chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F In an ungreased 9-inch cake pan, mix the topping ingredients. Spread evenly in the pan.
- In small, microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate and 1/4 cup water on High 1-1.5 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Stir to blend.
- In a medium bowl, beat the sugar and 1/2 cup butter with electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla and eggs until well blended.
- On low speed, beat in 3/4 cup of the flour and the milk. Add remaining 1/2 cup flour; beat well.
- Stir in chocolate mixture until blended. Pour batter over the topping in the pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Run a knife around the edge of the cake to loosen. Place serving plate upside down over cake in pan. Turn the plate and pan over. Remove pan. Serve warm or cool.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Recipezaar to learn new recipes that are home cooked. I grew up having ready-meals like Encor and Stouffers and needed recipes that don't simply require opening a box and plopping in the oven! I enjoy cooking when I have the time to try new dishes. I make every recipe as written if I'm reviewing it to give a true review. If I make alterations that aren't in the directions, I don't feel it's a true reflection of the recipe; it's another recipe to me. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/captain.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/329769/ninja%20bmp.jpg" width=75%> (Zaar World Tour 4) <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"> <a href="http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/?action=view¤t=cunningcrocodiles.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/cunningcrocodiles.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/DSC_0020.jpg"> (Australia/New Zealand Swap #15)