Garlic Rubbed Roasted Cabbage Steaks
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -3 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 400F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Pull outer leaf off cabbage (it’s usually dirty and nasty looking), cut cabbage from top to bottom (bottom being root) into 1″ thick slices.
- 2. Rub both sides of cabbage with smashed garlic.
- 3. Use a pastry brush to evenly spread the olive oil over both sides of the cabbage slices.
- 4. Finally, sprinkle each side with a bit of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- 5. Roast on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Carefully flip the cabbage steaks and roast for an additional 30 minutes until edges are brown and crispy. Serve hot and Enjoy!
I've been cooking corned beef and cabbage for years and years. Hardly anyone eats the cabbage and it is more of a requirement than an enjoyable part of dinner. Then I found this recipe and everyone LOVED the cabbage. All but a tiny bit was eaten and everyone commented on how good it was. I chopped some garlic small and luckily had a HUGE bulb of elephant garlic that worked nicely to rub on the cabbage. The chopped garlic went into the EVOO and purposefully some was tucked into the nooks and crannies of the cabbage. Highly recommend this - will do this every year from now on!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Learned to cook from my grandma. She is my kitchen inspiration <img title=Innocent src=/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-innocent.gif border=0 alt=Innocent /></p>