Frozen Chocolate Custard
photo by denrayr
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint whipping cream
- "chocolate syrup".
- Combine the sugar, water, and cocoa in a medium sauce pan.
- Stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a rapid boil.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Once cool stir in the vanilla.
- "custard base".
- Start by heating the half and half in the microwave.
- Heat for 2 minutes, then stir.
- Check the temperature with a thermometer.
- Heat for 30 seconds, then stir.
- Check the temperature again.
- Continue heating for thirty second increments until the half and half reaches 170 degrees.
- Place the eggs and yolks in a blender.
- Blend on the slowest setting until thoroughly mixed.
- Again, set the blender to the slowest setting and slowly add the sugar, honey, salt, and heated half and half.
- Heat the mix in thirty second increments until it again reaches 170 degrees.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once the chocolate and custard have both cooled to room temperature, put them in the fridge to chill for one hour.
- Pour the chocolate, custard, and whipping cream into your ice cream maker.
- Freeze according to the ice cream makers directions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!