Frog Eye Salad
- Ready In:
- 16 ounces acini di pepe pasta
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits (undrained)
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (or thawed if frozen)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces mini marshmallows
- Cook pasta, according to directions on package, until tender; drain, rinse under cold running water, then drain thoroughly and add to a large serving bowl.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 3/4 cup juice for use later. Cover & refrigerate pineapple and then pour the reserved juice into a medium sauce pan, adding sugar, eggs, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thick. Then remove it from the heat and stir into pasta, mixing well. Cover & refrigerate overnight.
- The next day add the drained pineapple, whipped topping, oranges, cherries, and blueberries, and marshmallows; blending lightly but, thoroughly. Cover & chill for 6 to 8 hours.
- *Make it low cal by replacing all but 1/4 cup of the sugar, eggs, and salt with a 5 oz. box of fat free instant vanilla pudding. Then follow the pudding directions using 1 1/4 of cold milk and the reserved pineapple juice instead of the 3 cups milk that the box will call for. You can skip step 2 of these directions (which is where you make your own pudding) and just stir the prepared non-fat pudding into the pasta, mixing it well and then cover & refrigerate it overnight.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was one of the most wonderful pasta fruit salads that I have ever tried! The flavor and texture were fresh and appealing. This recipe includes blueberries and it was a wonderful touch. My kids loved it and when I took it to a family potluck, the empty bowl was a good indicator that everyone else did, too! Thanks Likkel for another great recipe!