French Onion Bread
photo by Elises Kitchen
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet dry active yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package French onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Add Sugar and Yeast to one of the cups of Warm Water. Stir gently and set aside for five minutes, allowing yeast to get foamy and bubbly.
- In a large bowl, combine Flour, Soup Mix, Salt, and mix together to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and add Yeast mixture, the other cup of Warm Water, and Olive Oil. Bring together with hands until dough begins to form.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with saran wrap, and set a side to rest for an hour and a half or until doubled in size.
- When dough has rested, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from bowl and work into desired shape. Place on baking sheet, cover, and let rest for another 45 minutes to an hour.
- Uncover dough and brush top with egg wash. Put in oven.
- Let loaf bake at 400 degrees for the first 15 minutes, then turn down oven to 350 degrees for the last fifteen minutes.
- Remove bread and let cool on rack before eating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!