Flu Fighter Chicken Soup With Garlic and Star Anise
photo by Turner Broadcasting
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 4 lbs chicken, rinsed and giblets discarded
- 2 cups sliced carrots, 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups diced fennel, 1/2-inches
- 2 cups diced onions, 1/2-inches
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and trimmed
- 2 whole dried arbol chiles
- 2 whole star anise
- one 2-inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fennel leaves
- Place the chicken in a large pot with 14 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then immediately reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour. Periodically skim off the foam and scum that floats to the top. Transfer the chicken to a platter to cool.
- Add the carrots, fennel, onion, garlic, chiles, star anise and ginger to the stock and simmer until the garlic is fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Shred the chicken breast and leg meat (about 4 cups total), and add back to the soup along with the broccoli. Simmer for 5 minutes, and season with salt and pepper. Remove the chiles and ginger, and then serve the soup garnished with fennel fronds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Turner Broadcasting creates and programs branded news; entertainment; animation and young adult; and sports media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, Turner is a Time Warner Company.