Fig & Chocolate Bars
- Ready In:
- 125 g butter
- 150 g plain flour
- 50 g brown sugar (soft light)
- 225 g dried figs, halved (ready to eat)
- 1⁄2 large lemon (juice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 125 g dark chocolate (plain)
- Preheat the oven to 189C/350F/Gas 4, 10 minutes befoe baking. Lightly oil a 18 cm square cake itn. Place the butter and the flour in a large bowl and, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, then using your hand, bring the mixture together to form smooth dough. Knead until smooth then press the dough into the prepared tin. Lightly prick the base with a fork and bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and leave the shortbread to cool in the tin until completely cold,.
- Meanwhile, place the dried figs, lemon juice, 125 ml water and the ground cinnamon in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally during cooking. Cool slightly, then puree in a food processor until smooth. Cool then spread over the cooked shortbread.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Alternatively, melt the chocolate in the microwave, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Stir until smooth, then spread over the to of the fig filling Leave to become firm then cut into 12 bars and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!