Farro Salad With Asparagus and Parmesan
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 cup cracked farro
- 1⁄4 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, toast for better flavor
- 1⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to rolling boil over high heat. Stir in farro and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and continue simmering until desired tenderness, 20 to 30 minutes more. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, bring about 3/4 inch of lightly salted water to a boil in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook asparagus, uncovered, until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer asparagus to a bowl of ice water for several minutes to stop cooking process.
- When asparagus is cold, drain well and cut diagonally into 1 1/2 inch slices.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and salt in large bowl.
- Add farro, asparagus, tomatoes, walnuts, cranberries, parsley and chives and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle salad with 1/2 cup parmesan and toss to mix.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
- Serve at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"