Farmhouse Apple Cherry Pie
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The wining pie in this year's Michigan Living baking contest. The winner's name is Pamela Conrad. I haven't tried this pie yet, but it sounds wonderful. Pinconning, by the way, is a city in Michigan known for its cheese.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ice water
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated sharp pinconning cheese
- 1⁄4 lb cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup michigan dried cherries, rehydrated in brandy for several hours ,then drained well
- 2 1⁄2 cups peeled sliced ida red apples
- CRUST: Using a pastry blender, mix flour, salt and butter'til ingredients look like a coarse meal.
- Add grated cheese.
- Gradually add drops of ice water and mix'til dough holds together (approx 1/4 cup water).
- Pat dough into a flat circle onto a piece of plastic wrap.
- Cover with wrap and refrigerate at least an hour.
- CRUMB TOPPING: Combine butter and flour with a pastry blender or in a food processor until mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Add brown sugar and oats and combine.
- Set aside.
- FILLING: Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Roll our pie crust to a 14-inch circle and press into an 8-inch pie plate or tin.
- Beat the eggs and add the sugar, flour, sour cream, lemon rind and juice.
- Add the cherries and apples then mix well.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Bring overhanging pastry up over the filling.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle crumb topping on the apple filling and return to oven.
- Continue baking 30-35 minutes, until crumb topping is brown and filling is set.
- Chill slightly before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION