Fantastic Banana Fruitcake
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
2 9x5 inch loaf cakes
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups candied fruit
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- Set oven to 300 degrees Prepare two (9" x 5") loaf pans, or 8 mini loaf pans.
- In a large bowl combine the fruit, dates and walnuts, then dredge them with 1/4 cup flour.
- Sift the remaining flour together with the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; set aside.
- In another bowl, cream butter, add sugar, and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the orange rind, orange juice, orange extract and drained pineapple.
- Mash the bananas with a fork (do not use a food processor, as it will liquefy and the bananas, and will change the texture of the cake).
- Alternately, stir in the banana puree with the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Stir in the floured fruit and nuts.
- Turn into prepared pans.
- Bake for about 2 hours and 15 minutes, or until loosley with foil if the cakes are browning too much on top.
- Cool in pans for 20 minutes, then turn onto racks Note: If baking in mini loaf pans, then cut down the baking time.
This is really good fruitcake. Unfortunately, I dont really feel like the flavor of the banana is really there... it just tastes like an ordinary fruitcake, maybe made a bit more moist by the banana. My cakes didnt take anywhere near 2 hrs 15 mins. After 1hr 35 mins, my cakes were more than done. Thanks for the recipe :) We're enjoying it!