Emeril's Beef Chili Cheese Fries
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 -4 tablespoons masa harina flour
- 1 (1/2 lb) bag frozen french fries or (1/2 lb) bag waffle-shaped French fries
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pickled jalapeno pepper
- Season onions with salt and cayenne and saute, stirring, until they begin to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Add the beef, chili powder, cumin, red pepper, and oregano, season with salt and cayenne, and cook until meat is done (no pink).
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and 2-1/2 cups beef stock, bring to boil and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer uncovered about 1 hour, stirring occasionally and skimming fat that rises to the surface.
- Combine masa harina flour with remaining 1/2 cup stock.
- Slowly add to the pot, stirring to blend, which will thicken the mixture.
- Cook for 30 minutes and correct seasoning.
- From here, Emeril deep fries his own shoestring French fries, but I use frozen French fries or waffle fries to save time (and mess!).
- Prepare frozen potatoes as package directs.
- Lower oven heat to 400 degrees F, place fries in bottom of a large glass rectangular baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheeses over the fries and bake for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and spoon hot chili over the top of the fries.
- Garnish with sour cream and jalapeños and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was delicious and very fulfilling. I didn't have any tomato paste so I used some ketchup and didn't have any masa harina flour either so I used self rising flour. All turned out great! Didn't use jalapeno peppers either since DH and I don't eat them. I made my own french fries too :) Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I will be making this again.