Easy Palak Paneer
- Ready In:
- 4 bunches fresh spinach
- 1 large white onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 green chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 6 -8 ounces paneer cheese (approximately)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 8 tablespoons heavy cream (or while milk)
- oil or ghee
- chop up spinach. chop it up well and toss it in a big pot with a little water to shrink it.cook it on med high for about 3 minutes
- while the spinach is shrinking, cut up your onion and put it in a bowl.
- dump your spinach into a collander in the sink after it shrinks down and let it be.
- steam two tomatoes on high until the skin cracks (blanched) should take about 5-7 minutes
- while the tomatoes are blanching, seed and chop up your chile and chop up your ginger. cut em up really small. this is a cheat for mincing!
- put the ginger and chiles chopped up into a bowl together and set it near the spinach.
- pour paprika, cumin, turmeric, coriander and garam masala into a bowl together and have it handy.
- Tomatoes should be blanched by now so peel off the skin and chop them into about four pieces each.
- Get a big pan and heat some (apx 2 tbs) oil on high. when it's hot add your onion and cook for about two minutes.
- dump in you ginger/ chile mix and stir up. Savor that aroma and turn heat down to medium immediately.
- add your spices and stir it up. keep stirring until your onions are evenly coated with spices.Stir it around for about two or three minutes.
- Add your spinach to the pot and stir it all together.
- add your tomatoes. stir it up.
- I know it doesn't look like much right now, but it will be great, I promise!
- Give it about 5 minutes keeping it on med- med high.
- take this time to chop up your paneer cheese (which I get from whole foods) but can be made from scratch if need be. I cut my paneer into small cubes.
- Check on your pan -- add a little water if you need to and turn heat down to med low.
- give your mixture a good stir and add paneer cheese.
- let it simmer on med low for about 10-15 mins -- make sure your mixture doesn't stick by adding a little more water if you need to. Sometimes I need to, sometimes I don't- go figure!
- add your cream/ milk and let it simmer for 10 more mins on low.
- ENJOY! serve with rice or naan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
almost vegan but have a love for cheese I enjoy cooking and trying new recipies especially because my boyfriend will eat ANYTHING. Which makes me feel a little better if I screw up the recipe... usually have a full house so cooking is part of my everyday routine...or atleast four times a week I am a new cook, before two years ago I could not cook anything except mac and cheese and sometimes I still screw that up. Now I do not eat Kraft or Frito Lay. So chips and macaroni and cheese are out of the question.