Easy Baked Tempeh
photo by KandKConnection
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce or 1/4 cup tamari
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Saute onion in oil till almost tender.
- Combine all ingredients, except tempeh, in a pan and cook till slightly thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix in tempeh and transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or till completely heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is great when you need have some tempeh and can't be bothered making anything too difficult. My toddler loves anything covered in tomato sauce and tempeh contains all the amino acids. Making the sauce is quite quick - I turned the heat up and managed to save some time. And waiting for the tempeh to bake gave me enough time to go check Zaar for tomorrow's meal! Good recipe Yogi!
This was so delicious...and I agree with another reviewer that it reminds me of a "tomatoe-y barbeque sauce." It smells so fantastic while it's cooking! And the vinegar and tamari really seem to do something special to the tempeh. Great sauce...will see how tofu holds up to it next. **Update...drained, froze, then thawed some extra firm tofu to try with this great sauce...it was good, but not as good as the tempeh. I think the natural flavor of the tempeh and the great taste of this sauce just work really well together, period.
see 11 more reviews
Freaking AWESOME! I really enjoyed it, over brown rice. However, I didn't have all the ingredients on hand, so I made a few substitutions. I used rice vinegar instead of cider vinegar, and I didn't have any tomato sauce, so I used a 14.5-oz can of (drained) diced tomatoes, plus about 1/4 cup organic ketchup. I also added a handful of diced carrots. It turned out wonderful! Thanks for the recipe