Dutch Kitchen Ham Gravy for Verenika, Spaetzle, Egg Noodles, Etc
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is not the traditional ham gravy used for verenika, as it is much thicker and doesn't use any heavy cream. I've used it on verenika, spaetzle, egg noodles, mashed potatoes, ham ...
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ham steak, cubed
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 3 tablespoons ham soup base (can adjust to taste)
- cornstarch (to thicken)
- Place the ham in the bottom of a large pot over medium heat for a few minutes to get the flavor and juices out.
- Pour in the buttermilk, evaporated milk, sour cream, and ham base.
- Heat through, but do not bring to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch (I start with a tablespoon or two) with cold water and stir into the gravy. Keep stirring for a minute or two to keep it from settling at the bottom. Repeat this until it is the consistency you want.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION