Doctor Polynesian's Jammin' Ham 'n' Spam
photo by PalatablePastime
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs smoked brown sugar ham, cut into 1/2-inch thick steaks (or mixture of Ham or Spam) or 3 lbs Spam, sliced (or mixture of Ham or Spam)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained (optional) or 1 fresh pineapple, cored peeled and cut into chunks (optional)
- 2 -3 green bell peppers, cut into chunks (optional)
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- steamed long grain jasmine rice (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar style barbecue sauce
- 1 cup crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon light molasses
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil or 2 teaspoons hot sesame oil
- Simmer sauce ingredients over low heat 30 minutes.
- Use sauce immediately, or allow to cool and puree for a smoother texture.
- Apply to grilled ham steaks or Spam (grill outdoors or on the George Foreman grill).
- Cooked/smoked meats need only to be heated through and have some nice grill marks, so place steaks on a very hot grill, then turn halfway for a cross-hatched effect.
- Cook pineapple, onion and green pepper in a grill pan/skillet or on skewers if you are using, basted with a little sauce). If you use bamboo skewers, soak them 30 minutes submerged in cold water prior to loading with veggies (otherwise they might burn on the grill).
- Serve it all on top of steamed jasmine rice, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at email@example.com