Divers Sea Scallop Chowder
photo by Potagekempcc
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs fresh sea scallops (Divers Scallops, Muscle Removed)
- 1⁄2 lb maple bacon
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 celery ribs (Chopped)
- 6 cups maui onions (Medium Diced, 4 onions)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (Fresh Lemon, Chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Chardonnay wine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (Diced)
- 4 cups heavy cream (Tempered)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning (Split)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (Chopped)
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 fresh lemon (Zested & Juiced)
- 1⁄4 cup chives (Chopped)
- Rinse scallops under cold water and pat dry. Coat scallops with a little olive oil and place on a plate.
- In a 5-quart Dutch oven cook bacon over medium heat; about 6-8 minutes until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towel. When cool crumble the bacon.
- Pour off all bacon grease and add 2-tablespoons butter. Add bay leaf, celery, onion, thyme and parsley. Season with salt and white pepper. Cook vegetables 4-5 minutes on until brown.
- Add Chardonnay and reduce by half.
- Add 3-tablespoons butter, sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in clam juice until smooth. Add bacon bits, potatoes, tempered cream and 1-tablespoon old bay seasoning. Bring chowder to a full boil and reduce to a slow simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are done. Stir to prevent chowder from burning. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in creme fraiche and nutmeg. Stir until combined. Do not let the chowder boil.
- Heat a skillet add remaining butter, lemon zest and lemon juice. Season scallops with fine sea salt and white pepper. Dust both sides with old bay seasoning. Cook scallops 1-2 minutes per side or until done. Remove bay leaf from chowder. Season with sea salt and white pepper to taste.
- Place chowder in warm bowls and add Divers Sea Scallops.
- Garnish chowder with fresh chopped chives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!