- Ready In:
- 1hr 48mins
- 4 inches square dried kelp
- 1 ounce dried fish
- 3 cups water
- wipe konbu with a damp cloth then place in a saucepan with 3 cups water & soak for about 1 hour.
- heat uncovered over medium heat for about 10 minuites removing konbu just before the boiling point so that it retains flavor.
- if the thickest part of the konbu is still hard return to the pan a few more minuites adding a little water to prevent boiling,reserve the konbu.
- add 1 oz. of the dried bonito flakes to the pan & bring to a boil(don't stir)& immediately remove from the heat.
- using a tablespoon or ladle remove the foam from the surface & let stand a few minuites until the dried bonito flakes settles down to the bottom of the pan.
- strain the liquid lined with muslin & reserve the bonito flakes.
- this is good for clear soups.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!