- Ready In:
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 3 cups raisins
- 2 cups chopped mixed candied fruits and peels
- 2 cups glace cherries
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Combine the orange juice, molasses and raisins in a saucepan; heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir in candied fruits and peels.
- Cream margarine and sugar. Blend in 3 eggs, one at a time. Sift together flour, soda and spices. Blend them into creamed mixture. Stir in fruit and peel mixture; add nuts.
- Grease and flour 2 bread pans or tube pan and fill 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake in slow 275F oven for abotu 2 1/4 hours. Insert toothpick ; if dry, cake is cooked.
- Cool in pans. Remove and wrap in plastic wrap or foil. Store in cooled place several weeks.
- Another excellent method of storage, is to wrap in brandy soaked cheesecloth, then wrap in plastic wrap, and then in foil. Store in a cool dry place for several weeks, Keep checking to make sure there is still a little moisture in the cheesecloth, not wet, just a little damp. it gives your fruitcake an excellent flavor!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a 56 year old Gramma that, for the first time in my life, has purchase myself a computer, and I didn't know what i was missing!! <br> <br>I have a husband tha I adore, and 4 grandchildren that of course surpass all others - lol - I am disabled, and am an at home person, so I have a lot of time on my hands, to play with my recipes, and I am enjoying every bit of it - <br>My husband will eat anything that I cook, so I have carte blanche as far as that goes, so I have a great time trying out new recipes. <br> <br>Paula Deen has published some of my favorite cookbooks, her recipes are easy and quick to do. Her sweets are fantastics, especially her pound cakes, Yummm <br> <br>I guess the dish that I am famous for is my Christmas ham - my family all comes home for Christmas, and if i don't have my ham they are dissapointed, and my grandson wants the pistachio squares!!! so I guess that is the dishes that I'm famous for.