CUBAN CHICKEN STEW (Guisado De Pollo)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons spanish paprika
- 3 lbs chicken, disjointed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can French style green bean
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green olives
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pimiento
- Mix the garlic, salt, pepper and paprika to a paste.
- Rub into the chickens thoroughly, inside and out.
- If possible, season the chickens the day before they are to be used.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan or casserole.
- Add the onions and saute for 5 - 15 minutes, stirring frequently; remove & set aside.
- Add the chicken pieces & brown well on all sides; remove & set aside.
- Pour the wine into the pot & deglaze, using a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom.
- Return the onions & chicken pieces to the saucepan along with the bay leaf.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add small additional amounts of water if needed.
- Add the potatoes and stir gently.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes
- Correct seasoning.
- Add the beans, olives, and pimentos and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- The flavour will be greatly improved if the stew is prepared early in the day and reheated before serving.
Join The Conversation