Crusted Baked Chicken With Tarragon Cream Sauce
This has a flavorful creamy gravy and really isn't hard to make. I serve it over mashed potates and sometimes cut the chicken breast into smaller pieces. A great dish for company and a hit with everyone in our house.
- Ready In:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves or 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Tarragon Cream Sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with water into a paste
- Pound chicken to an even thickness.
- In bowl #1 mix the flour, salt and pepper.
- In bowl #2 whisk the egg with mustard and garlic salt.
- In bowl #3 mix the bread crumbs, tarragon and Italian seasoning.
- Dip the chicken in flour, shaking off excess, then in egg, then in crumbs, coating well.
- Place in a lightly buttered roasting pan (safe for stovetop use.) Drizzle chicken with melted butter and bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or till juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a warm platter and cover to keep warm.
- Place roasting pan on stove burner over medium-high heat and add broth or wine to deglaze pan, scraping up browned bits. Add dried herbs and cook till reduced, 2-3 minutes. Add lemon juice, cream and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then whisk in the flour; simmer 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve with mashed potatoes or rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION