Crowned Apple Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs tart apples
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1/2 cup pecan halves (optional)
- Place oven rack in lower third of oven and pre-heat to 350º.
- Grease a 10-inch tube pan with removable bottom- bundt pan is not recommended for this recipe.
- Peel and core the apples; slice 1/4" thick.
- Place other topping ingredients in bowl.
- Add apples and toss to coat, then set aside.
- Put flour, sugar, oil, eggs, orange juice, baking powder, vanilla and salt.
- Mix at low speed to combine, then at medium speed until completely blended, about 2 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into the pan.
- Arrange 1/3 of the apples on top of the batter and sprinkle with chopped nuts if using.
- Pour another 1/3 of the batter on top of the apples and arrange another 1/3 of the apples on top.
- Pour the remaining batter on the apples and smooth the top.
- Arrange the rest of the apples around the center tube, forming a"crown".
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of liquid from the bowl that had contained the apples over the top and decorate with nut halves, if using.
- Place cake on rimmed baking sheet and bake for 75 ot 85 minutes, until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- If top appears to be getting too brown, cover it loosely with foil.
- Remove cake from oven and cool 10 minutes.
- Run knife or spatual around the edge of pan and remove side.
- Cool to room temperature, then run knife or spatula around the center tube and bottom.
- Lift cake onto serving plate.
- Store at room temperature for up to 2 days, or can be frozen.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!