1. Brown meat in a large deep skillet on medium-high heat; season generously with salt and a little pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small pieces.
2. When meat is no longer pink, drain all the liquid from pan. Add the onions, garlic, and bell peppers to the meat and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
3. transfer the meat to the slow cooker, then add tomato, cilantro, tomato sauce, 1 1/4 cups water, alcaparrado (or olives) [I usually add some of the brine from the jar for added flavor] then add the spices.
4. Set slow cooker on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
5. After it's ready, taste for salt and add more as needed .
6. Discard the bay leaves and serve over brown rice. (For WHOLE30, serve over cauliflower rice.).