Crock-Pot Cantonese Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 15mins
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, seeded, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, seeded, cut into strips
- 1⁄2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups pineapple chunks, reserve juice
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- chow mein noodles or rice, for serving
- Place the chicken, peppers strips and onion in the crockpot.
- In a bowl mix the brown sugar and cornstarch. Add 1 cup of the reserved pineapple juice, vinegar, water, soy sauce and salt, blend until smooth. Pour over chicken and veggies.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours. One hour before serving, add the pineapple chunks, stir into the meat and sauce.
- Serve over Chow Mein noodles or rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was quite nice. I used my electric pressure cooker and since it cooks with less liquid (and in 1/4 or less of the time!), I omitted the water and cut back some on the juice. About 15 minutes before serving, I added the pineapple, left the lid off, turned the pressure cooker to the saute setting and cooked it down a bit. My family all liked it and I'm sure I'll make it again. By the way, I couldn't love my Cuisinart pressure cooker any more! Anything I could make in my crock-pot can be made in my pressure cooker in about 1/4 of the time!