Crispy Duck With Udon Noodles
photo by Tuck Burnette
- Ready In:
- 1 duck, see note (5 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 3⁄4 cup regular soy sauce, divided
- 3 thai bird chilies, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 minced scallion
- 6 ounces udon noodles
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups fresh oyster mushrooms
- 6 heads baby bok choy, leaves detached
- Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Season duck with salt and pepper. Cook skin side down, then turn, until duck is evenly browned (12-15 minutes), reserve fat for another purpose, or discard. Transfer duck to a plate and set aside. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a Dutch oven, with a heat resistant lid, a 12-inch sauté pan, or a roaster, that can be covered in aluminum foil, put the broth, vinegar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, coriander seeds, 1 chile (chopped or whole), and the 1 cup of water. Add the duck legs, skin side up, cover, and put in oven to braise until tender, about 90 minutes. Gently remove duck to a plate when done, discarding cooking liquid, (the mixture may be cooled and frozen, if making this dish again).
- Make the sauce in a 4-cup pan by boiling the remaining soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, sesame seeds, sesame oil, mustard, and chopped scallion, do not reduce, remove from heat, set aside.
- Boil the noodles in lightly salted water for 2-3 minutes. Drain, toss with 1 tablespoon oil, set aside.
- Heat a skillet with 2 more tablespoons oil, add remaining chilies (chopped or whole), mushrooms, and cabbage leaves, stir fry until cabbage leaves wilt, 5-7 minutes.
- Add noodles, and 1/2 cup of the reserved sauce, stir, cover to keep warm.
- Over medium-high heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet, and fry duck, skin side down, for 4 minutes, or until crisp. Remove from heat, turn duck. Brush with remaining sauce.
- Place servings of warm noodles onto warm plates, and put one serving of duck, over each. Serve at once.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!