Crisp 'n Good Apple Salad With Walnuts and Walnut Oil Dressing
photo by French Tart
- Ready In:
- 2 apples, firm sweet eating apples, unpeeled, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 2 granny smith apples, ditto
- 1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin, seedless
- 1 cup walnuts, pref. toasted (see note below)
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- First whisk the walnut oil, cider vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved, and set aside at room temperature.
- Prepare salad ingredients, and toss together in a salad bowl.
- Toss with dressing to serve.
- (If it has to stand awhile, cover with platic wrap and refrigerate. For taking on a picnic or to-go, keep in a plastic container with tight-fitting lid).
- *Toasted walnuts: you can use fresh walnuts, but toasting brings out their fragrance. Heat oven to 350 degF/180 degC, spread walnuts on a cookie tin, and bake for 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Malcolm and I love salads and this one was a winner thanks Zurie! I feel a little bad for deducting a star, as we thought there was something missing from the flavours, and that was my fault as I had run out of celery, so I will try this salad again sometime in the future and review it again! However, what we did have was a lovely crisp and very fresh salad made with apples, Blue Stilton, home-grown toasted walnuts and a really wonderful nutty dressing which was 5 star by itself! I made the salad just as posted, with the exception of the celery, and we both enjoyed this for lunch with a glass of wine and some crusty bread. My apples were local English apples that I brought back to France, all grown in Kent, and beautifully crisp and fresh - they were Coxes Orange Pippins and Worcester Pearmain. Made in memory of your beloved Gideon and your cook-a-thon and very much enjoyed thanks Zurie. Tartelette
AMAZING! This salad is absolutely delicious, both hubby and I loved it. Very quick and easy to make too. Thank you so much Zurie, this will absolutely be a keeper for our family! Edited to say I've made it twice now and it's a 5 star keeper! Made for Photo Tag, please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.