photo by kymgerberich
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cinnamon sticks (quills)
- 1 pared orange, rind of
- 1 pared lemon, rind of
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Put cream, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and peel in a pan over medium heat.
- Bring just to boiling point, then remove from heat.
- Whisk together yolks and caster sugar in a large bowl.
- Strain cream and pour slowly over yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Skim off any foam.
- Put six 1/2-cup (125ml) ramekins in a large roasting pan and spoon mixture into ramekins.
- Pour hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins, then cover the whole pan with foil.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until just set.
- Lift the ramekins out of the pan and leave to cool before chilling in the fridge for 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, preheat the grill to high.
- Place ramekins on a baking tray, sprinkle brown sugar over chilled creams, then place under the grill (oven broiler) for 2-3 minutes until sugar is melted and dark golden.
- Leave for a few minutes for sugar to cool and harden before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!