Creamy Tomato Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb waxy potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato, not packed in oil
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted are best
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium heat. Saute the onions until translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper. Saute for 1 more minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the potatoes and sun-dried tomatoes. Pour in the water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, lower the heat to medium, cover, and let simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the sun-dried tomatoes are soft.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and heat through. If you have an immersion blender, you're in luck! Puree the living hell out of it until it is very smooth. If you don't have one just transfer the whole shebang to a food processor or blender, in cooled batches, then transfer back to the pot. Add the lemon juice and adjust the salt if you need to.
- Variation: add half cup of shredded basil after pureeing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
When I was little, I wanted to grow up to be a chef. I grew up to be a doctor instead, but I still love to cook and eat! I especially love recipes that make use of fresh vegetables. <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">