Creamy Quinoa With Blueberries (Vegan)
photo by PaulaG
- Ready In:
- 1 cup quinoa, well washed in a fine mesh strainer
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk (can substitute dairy milk or other non-dairy option)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (my addition but optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 -3 tablespoons hemp seeds (chia, flax or other seeds can replace)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Combine quinoa and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 12–15 minutes. I cooked the quinoa a solid 15 minutes then set aside for 5 minutes. Spoon into bowls and use the same pan to warm the coconut milk.
- In the same pan you cooked the quinoa, warm the coconut milk, cinnamon, cardamom and dash of salt. Remove from heat and if using, stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the coconut milk around the edges of the quinoa. Top with the blueberries (or other berry of choice), hemp seeds and toasted pecans.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was nice for a change of pace. Probably wouldn't call it "creamy". I may try cooking it again with the milk in place of the water. I used almond milk, fresh blueberries and chia seeds. The quinoa cooked for 12 minutes then rested for another 3 to 4 covered before serving. It was drizzled lightly with honey. As written this recipe makes 4 adult size portions. For the 2 of us I halved the recipes.