Ultimate Slow-Cooker Macaroni & Cheese
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 1 lb macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- Cook macaroni on the stove top per package directions.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the powdered milk in the fluid milk (this will be easier if the milk is warm - but it's not necessary - it's OK if a small amount of powdered milk is not completely dissolved).
- Combine the milk mixture with the cheese soup and grated cheese in the crock pot. When the macaroni is done, drain and add it to the crock pot. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low setting for 2 1/2 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This turned out wonderfully. I did sub in a bit of half-and-half for some of the milk to make it creamier and had to add another 1/2 cup of milk after 2 hours of cook time. It was finished in 3 hours perfectly. The one thing I've found with crockpot pasta is using the largest/thickest noodles possible as they tend not to overcook as easily as say a macaroni noodle. I used a thick rigged macaroni noodle in this recipe and was not disappointed as it turned out creamy and good. I did add some pepper to give it a bit of kick from the beginning and skipped on the dry milk because I did not have any on hand. Great crock pot meal.
This was very easy and creamy when it was first ready. Took to a potluck and unfortunately the rest of the meal was a good hour behind so it got a little thick. I subbed evaporated milk and used mild cheddar (it's what I had). Next time I will either use the sharp cheddar or add a little spice it was a bit bland.
see 7 more reviews
I have been using this base for years! So easy and quick. My additions always come with salt/pepper, touch of garlic and onion powder (not much but a touch to season), added cheese (any in the fridge but extra sharp does well) or even Monterey added to any cheddar. To make this creamy I add just a quick "splash" of half and half or cream to recipe. Added toppings are whatever works for the day from extra cheese, broccoli, crabmeat dip, cooked bacon bits, sour cream, ham etc. I will turn it into homemade chili mac with extra chili on hand. This recipe has certainly been modified at this house many times over. Not many have them but I have a kitchen torch to brown crumbled crackers with butter on top. It's not really healthy food but comfort food here. Just add a few seasonings, extra cheese and a tad of cream for the basic recipe for flavor. ??