Creamy Barley With Tomatoes and Greens
photo by januarybride
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups quick-cooking barley
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 8 cups torn mustard, green leaves (may sub spinach)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (1 ounces)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the barley, tomatoes, wine, and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the barley is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Add the mustard greens until the greens are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Divide among bowls and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup of Parmesan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!