Cream of Broccoli Soup
This soup is delicious and easy to prepare. I've been making it for years and it is still one of my favorite recipes.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb broccoli, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Cut broccoli into 1/2 inch pieces; steam in 1/2 cup water until tender; do no drain-set broccoli aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat; add flour and stir to make a roux; cook for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock to roux while stirring with a wire whisk; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; add broccoli, Half & Half, salt and pepper; heat but do not boil.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I have been on a full liquid diet for several years now and have been blending and straining 6 different Campbell's soups. Thank goodness I discovered this site. I have actually been giddy creating a whole new world of delicious cream soup and bisques that actually make me enjoy eating like I haven't in the 6 years since my liquid diet began due to health reasons.Reply
Oh my goodness...this was awesome. My hubby who always just says everything is "ok" actually said it was just about the best soup he has ever had and the kids want to take it to school tomorrow. It was very good. The directions did confuse me when it says to set broccoli aside but do not drain...was I supposed to add the water from the broccoli to the soup too? I did not, I just used a slotted spoon to move the broccoli into the soup. I would give 4 stars for directions but 10 for taste. Hubby took pictures so I will post those soon.Reply