Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Ready In:
- Cut tips from 12 asparagus
- 1 1/2 inches from top and halve tips lengthwise if thick. Reserve for garnish.
- Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pan. Stir in crème fraîche, then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips.
- Cooks' note:.
- • Soup keeps, covered and chilled, 2 days. If making ahead, add last tablespoon butter and lemon juice after reheating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of two wonderful boys! We live in a small rural community in Indiana that we love. I love cooking, especially entertaining for family and friends. I collect cookbooks and found RecipeZaar by accident online looking for recipes. I was hooked immediately! I tell all of my family and friends about this awesome site. I cannot understand picky eaters or those who won't try something new??? My husband and I enjoy cooking together and trying new recipes. I Was Adopted banner: <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">