Cranberry Waldorf Salad
This is an old family recipe. I don't know where it came from originally. I am made to bring this salad every Thanksgiving, my sister says it's not really Thanksgiving without it! It does sit overnight to mellow the cranberries, but the prep is quick.
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 20mins
- 12 -16 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tart green apple, chopped
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup broken walnuts or 1/2 cup pecans
- Rinse the cranberries and remove any stems or leaves.
- Grind the cranberries and marshmallows together using a meat grinder or chop in a food processor.
- Turn the cranberry mixture into a bowl and add the sugar.
- Stir well, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, whip the cream to soft peaks, then gently stir into cranberry mixture.
- Add the chopped apple (do not peel it), halved grapes and nuts and just mix through.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
DEFINITELY A WINNER OF A SALAD! As with many other recipes, when I can, I used toasted pecans here, though otherwise I followed the recipe & had a wonderful addition to a lunch buffet! Will be making this again especially during the winter holidays! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my partners in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #22]
Thanks for posting this. My mother-in-law always made this for the holidays. I believe it came from the Ocean Spray cranberries packaging.My husband's family has enjoyed it for years.I was going to post it but thought I'd check for it first. When we make it we just grind/process the cranberries, then stir in the marshmallows and sugar and let chill overnight before adding the rest of the ingredients. It has become a yearly request for my side of the family's Thanksgiving dinner.