- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 cups cranberries (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring just until the sugar dissolves.
- Decrease heat and simmer until the berries have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Cover and cool off the heat for 30 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the pan into a large blender; puree until smooth.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a 13x9 inch baking pan, pushing the solids against the mesh with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Freeze the mixture in the pan on the floor of the freezer for about 3 hours, stirring about every 20 minutes with a fork to break up the ice crystals and distribute them evenly throughout the pan.
- After the mixture has frozen but is not yet fully firm, cover it tightly with plastic wrap; the granita will keep this way for up to 3 weeks.
- Scrape the surface of the granita with a fork to produces lots of shaved ice crystals, scoop these into individual cups or glasses for serving.
- *Spiced Cranberry Granita: add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ¼ t. ground mace, and ¼ t. grated nutmeg to the pan before you set the mixture aside to cool for 20 minutes; proceed as directed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!