Cracked Wheat Bread
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
- 2 cups cracked wheat
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 egg
- Boil water (you'll need 2 cups).
- In a large bowl, mix cracked wheat, salt, honey and butter.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water to above ingredients; set aside.
- Mix yeast and 1/2 C warm water. Let rise.
- When the yeast has risen and the cracked wheat mixture has cooled to room temperature, then combine the two mixtures (yeast and cracked wheat).
- Stir in 1 1/2 C white flour and 3-4 C whole wheat flour. NOTE: Dough will be stiff, knead in the last cup by hand.
- Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until double (about 90 minutes).
- Grease cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal; set aside.
- Mix 1 egg and about 2 t water until smooth; set aside.
- After the dough has risen, shape into two loaves (I prefer four--do what works for you!), place on greased/cornmeal-ed cookie sheet.
- Paint with egg wash.
- Make three slashes on the top of each loaf.
- Let rise until double in size (about 30 minutes to an hour).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 - 35 minutes until golden.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I am a novice baker and this recipe produced the best bread I have ever made. I did not have any whole wheat flour, so I used 5 and 1/2 cups of white bread flour. The instruction in step 4 to let the yeast rise in the warm water was confusing to me. I just stirred the warm water and yeast (two of the foil packets) together and let it sit for a few minutes. The yeast seemed happy with that, the bread rose just fine. The next time I make this bread I will use two cookie sheets instead of one. I had four loaves on one large cookie sheet. After they rose, the loaves were touching. I baked them that way and pulled them apart when they were done. The bread was delicious anyway! The texture was both soft and chewy. The egg wash made the loaves a lovely golden brown.