Cornbread and Dried Fruit Dressing
- Ready In:
6 1/2 cup
- 4 cups cornbread cubes, dried (I use healthy cornbread Healthy Cornbread)
- 4 ounces lean Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions or 1 cup white onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- dried apricot, coarsely chopped
- pitted dried plum, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Place cornbread cubes in large bowl and set aside.
- In small nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat, crumbling and stirring until brown and cooked through. Drain well and set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, celery and carrot; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, but don't allow garlic to brown. Stir in sausage, apricots, plums, thyme, sage, marjoram and 1/4 cup broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; pour vegetable mixture over cornbread. Add parsley and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. (Dressing may be prepared to this stage a day ahead and refrigerated, covered.).
- Whisk together egg and remaining 3/4 cup broth and pour over cornbread mixture, tossing well. Spray 2-quart baking dish with canola oil cooking spray (use larger baking dish if not reserving dressing for Turkey Roulade) and transfer all but 1 1/2 cups of dressing to baking dish. Cover dish with foil and set aside.
- After Turkey Roulade has been in oven 30 minutes, place covered baking dish of dressing in oven. After 15 minutes (or when internal temperature of roulade, measured with instant-read thermometer, is 155 °F), remove roulade from oven and remove foil from baking dish with dressing. Continue baking dressing for about 15 minutes or until top begins to brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm Friends with Kerrithecook