Copycat Shake Shack Sausage Egg 'N Cheese
photo by EmKenBken
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices cheese (American)
- 4 hamburger buns (potato)
Make Sausage Mix:
- Chop sage and garlic (or grate garlic on microplane) then in a medium bowl combine the maple syrup, sage, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Add the pork and mix until thoroughly mix until fully combined, do not overmix. Transfer to a zip-top bag, or non-reactive container, with a cover; refrigerate 2 hours and up to 2 days.
Form Sausage Patties:
- Using your hands, form the sausage mixture into 5-inch patties, about 1/3- inch thick.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan or griddle over medium-high until very hot, 6 to 7 minutes. Grease skillet with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Add the the sausage patties, gently pressing down with a spatula, in order to adhere to the pan. Cook, undisturbed, until bottom of sausage is dark brown and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip patties, using spatula to “smash” lightly again; and sausage is dark golden brown on other side,and fully cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer sausage to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Remove skillet from heat. Using paper towels, wipe any excess oil, or sausage bits from the skillet. If skillet is smoking hot allow to cool slightly.
- Replace skillet on heat, over medium; add remaining 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and sprinkle with remaining teaspoon salt.
- Gently crack eggs into a bowl, being careful not to break yolks. Lower bowl with eggs close to skillet. Carefully pour eggs, one at a time skillet, trying to spacing out evenly. Cook eggs until just set on the bottom 1 to 2 minutes. Using a thin spatula (you may have to use the spatula to slice the egg whites between the eggs to separate them). Carefully flip each egg and top each with a slice of cheese. Cover skillet with a baking sheet or pot lid large enough to cover eggs. Continue to cook until cheese has melted and yolks are still runny, or cooked to your preference 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Split and toast sandwich buns. Dividing evenly, layer buns with eggs, and top each with sausage patties. Top each with bun tops and serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!