Copycat Shake Shack Chick'n Shack Sandwich
photo by EmKenBken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt, plus two teaspoons
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
Buttermilk Herb Mayo
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, 24oz, pounded 3/4 ' thin
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 potato hamburger buns
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 16 dill pickle slices
- Put buttermilk, 2 tablespoons salt, black pepper, and the hot sauce in a large, airtight container. Add chicken pieces; turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate 20 minutes or overnight.
Buttermilk Herb Mayo:
- In a small bowl stir together the mayonnaise with the buttermilk, chives, parsley, thyme, and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Put flour, remaining 2 teaspoons salt, cayenne pepper, and baking powder in a large resealable plastic bag.
- One at a time, remove chicken from marinade. Place chicken piece in dry mixture bag and shake vigorously to coat. Remove chicken from bag, and shaking off any excess flour mixture, set floured chicken aside. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Attach a deep-frying thermometer to the side of large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high, to 375°F Cook chicken until golden brown on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes a side. Chicken should be opaque in the center. Place cooked chicken on prepared baking sheet to drain.
- Dividing evenly spread bottom of buns with: herb mayo, pickle slices, lettuce and chicken, use remaining bun tops to close sandwiches. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!